Monday, May 5, 2014

Black Mountain, Benton, NH

The forecast was rain but I decided to hike hoping the weather would clear by the time I got to the summit. There is a quick worthwhile side trail to the historical Lime Kilns.  I recommend checking it out before heading up the mountain.

I ascended the Chippewa trail.  It's a steep, beautiful trail with white veined stones (granite?) and carved stairs along the way.  A lot of the trail was a muddy stream and especially slippery at the bald rock viewpoints.  The fog engulfed the summit but started to clear a bit on the way down so I got some views on the descent. The hike down was a little treacherous with the running water and slippery rocks.  Must be amazing on a clear day.


Lime Kilns
Historical information on the Lime Kilns

view from the top of the kiln



fog at one of the viewpoints



My friend an my ERD


my friend at one of the viewpoints
my friend and her Chesapeake Jetty
today's hiking companions



fog
socked-in at the summit :)

Jetty and the ERD (my evil rat dog)
clearing skies on the descent

My friend's Chesapeake




Tired dog 


No comments:

Post a Comment