Monday, May 12, 2014

Mount Jackson, Mount Webster Loop


The trail to the Webster/Jackson fork was muddy with a moderate amount of running water.   I ascended up to Mount Jackson first. The water crossings were minimal but the water was running fast so I decided to carry my Chihuahua rather than watch him be swept to the bottom of the mountain.

postholing it at 3100 feet up to Jackson
The trail was easy going until 3100 feet when I started postholing.  The postholing increased as I got closer to the summit, but even with the postholing it was an enjoyable, easy ascent.  I loved the baldface scramble to the summit.  It was windy at the top but the weather was so beautiful I never needed to put on a jacket. 

I have hiked many mountains solo, but this was my first solo 4000 footer.  I was hoping to have the summit to myself but there were some college-aged students at the top.  Two of the three wore sneakers and their feet were soaked and cold. They decided to stay at the summit until they dried and warmed themselves.  

After 30 minutes, realizing I would never get the summit to myself, I headed onto Webster.  The snow was soft and deep and my dog and I postholed it the entire way to Webster and most of the way down to the car.  The summit was nice but paled in comparison to Jackson’s. 

The trail going down from Webster was much more treacherous than the Jackson side.  The running water was so deep that I finally picked up the dog and put him on top of my backpack.

Just before I reached the waterfall I fell on the ice and slid about 20 feet.  Yes, I was wearing my spikes but they just weren’t penetrating this part of the trail.  At the waterfall I just shook my head as I noticed the water crossing.  There was no choice but to walk part way through the rushing water, knee deep.  I threw the dog back on top of my pack and headed across.  

I was startled by the beauty of the glacier-like blue ice alongside the waterfall.  I sat along the edge of the water and stared at it for a long time.  It was one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen on a hiking trail. 

From there on it in it was easy trekking back to the car.

Mount Jackson, Webster Loop Video




taking a break on the way up to Jackson

beautiful waterfall with blue ice!
Traverse to Webster

beautiful blue ice!

Waterfall and blue ice!

Dog on the top of my backpack

Almost at Webster
First view of Jackson summit
running water, snow and ice on the hike up to Jackson

Postholing to Webster
Views from Jackson




The ERD enjoying the summit

The trail, not a water crossing


Webster Summit

W


Wet boots on the trail

No comments:

Post a Comment