Friday, July 18, 2014

Chocorua - Mountains & Menopause

Exhalted Hanumanasana on the summit

I left the ERD at home and took the husband.  We hiked the Champney Falls trail to the summit.  It was muddy with running water and slippery rocks from the previous day’s rain but it didn’t impact us too much on the way up.

My husband has legs that are 7 feet long (okay, not really) so he darts up trails and makes fun of me lagging behind.  “Now I know how the dog feels running back and forth to see where you are,” he teased.   I like to hike at a moderate pace, but I’m never in a hurry to get to the top.  There are too many things to see along the way.  But now something else has been added to my hikes…hot flashes.   Today they came on in full force.  Every 10 to 15 minutes my poor husband would hear me proclaim, “I’m having another one!”

As the elevation increased, my hot flashes decreased with the cool morning breezes helping keep them at bay.  My husband’s and my hiking pace fell into sync.  With the hot flashes behind me, I got a burst of energy and felt like a mountain goat as I neared the summit. 

We had the summit to ourselves and what a beautiful summit, more beautiful than I expected.   We stayed for a long time and reluctantly left when the next set of hikers reached the top.    The blazes on the summit are faded in places and I found myself off trail a few times.  We watched as the other hikers missed the blazes bringing them to the summit from the opposite side.

On the way down we met a couple in the same age group as my husband and I.  The wife had that look on her face - the look I get when I’m having a hot flash!  So what do two 50+ year old women talk about when they meet on the trail?  Hot flashes!  As we discussed our common woes, the husbands just looked at each other shaking their heads, desperate for our conversation to end.  She was a hoot and I think we would have a lot of fun on the trail together.

I stopped at the falls on the way down and took a refreshing dip in one of the pools.  I tried to convince my husband to jump in, but he replied, “I don’t need too, I’m not the one with the hot flashes” ;).  

30 down - 22 ‘mountains with a view’ to go.


Amanita species

Summit benchmark


Champney Falls and a playful Handstand at Pitcher Falls Gorge



Near the summit
Feet in the foreground and me enjoying the summit in the background.











video of 360 views :_

quick dip in the falls


2 comments:

  1. Love your cloud in hand photo! Have you thought about food and flashes? It is said that Japanese women hardly have them, due to soy products, very little dairy, etc. I had them a little, not very bad (or maybe I was so grateful to be pain-free after many years, haha, that I did not notice them), just kept putting y sweater on and off. I've been vegetarian since 1975, and I think the fake burgers, etc may have helped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beckie, I definitely think what food we eat is a trigger. I've noticed coffee is a trigger for me. Tea & processed sugar too. I love cheese, thank goodness I haven't seen an increase after eating a nice brie ;). Om shanti :)

    ReplyDelete