Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Smarts Mountain - Lots of bad words muttered on this hike

4/21/14
Arrived at the Lambert Ridge trailhead at 11:30am on a 70+ degree morning.  It was easy going across the ledges with nice clear views.  On the first descent the trails were snowy but not too icy and spikes were not needed.  However the last mile was solid ice with a river of water rushing over it.  I had my spikes with me but even with them it was tough going and most of the way I chose to bushwhack along the outside of the trail.  It was slow, slippery and had me wondering why in heck I decided to hike that day.  I brought my 10 lb. chihuahua with me.  He raced up the icy slopes with water rushing over his body most of the ascent.  I occasionally made him stop long enough so I could dry and warm his paws. He seemed more annoyed with that than the mountain conditions.

At the top, the sky was clear and the wind was warm. It was nice to hang out in the fire tower for a while, eat lunch and enjoy the views.   Someone left two unopen beers in the fire tower.  I was tempted to crack one open but left them for the next hiker.

I descended the Ranger Trail.  This trail was not nearly as steep or icy as the Lambert trail, however it was a muddy river all the way down.  I finally gave up trying to avoid the muddy river and just walked through it. It was easier than bushwhacking around it except for the occasional unexpected mid-shin deep sections.  It was a much slower descent than expected.  

7.5 miles took me 5.5 hours much longer than anticipated.




 







No comments:

Post a Comment