Friday, October 2, 2015

Mount Hale, Zealand Hut Loop

Hale Brook Trail, Lend a Hand Trail, Zealand Trail, Zealand Road road-walk 

I had intended on hiking Mount Pierce and Mount Eisenhower looking for some 360 views. I haven't had much luck. The first time I hiked Eisenhower there were hurricane winds and rain. When I hiked Pierce, I was completely and eerily fogged in.  Seeing the weather forecast I knew I wasn't going to find my views today, so I set off for Mt. Hale.  

I had a miserable cold but I rallied (sort of) fighting through clogged nasal passages and wheezy lungs to the summit. The Hale Brook trail is rated as Easy on some trail logs and Moderate/Difficult on others.  If you are a regular hiker this will be a very easy hike. If you are new to hiking, I would consider it a Moderate level hike. There are two main water crossings on the Hale Brook trail. They were fast moving after the previous day's rain, but were easily crossed. 
My friend Lisa crossing Hale Brook
I read a few blogs saying there are limited views on the summit of Hale.  No. There are no views. It is a pretty summit with a wonderfully large and interesting cairn, but there are NO views. 
Mt. Hale Summit Cairn
If you want to make the hike more interesting, hike down the Lend a Hand Trail to the Zealand Hut (it becomes self-service after October 17th) and stop in for a cup of tea, soup, or a wonderful dessert. Continue down the beautiful Zealand trail to see Zealand Falls, Zealand Pond, and a enjoy a visual foliage fiesta crossing a boardwalk through the wetlands.  


Even with the heavy rains the day before, I was able to keep my feet dry. The trail was well maintained, very well marked and easy to follow. It is an easy descent all the way down to Zealand Road with a small downhill .9 road walk back to Hale Brook parking area.   
The ERD and I on the Mt. Hale summit cairn
Me on the summit cairn
My friend and I celebrating her birthday on the summit of Hale
No clue why this is in the woods on the side of the Lend a Hand trail

Remains of the old Fire Tower
A bad photo of the ERD

A random hiker's shoes
My friend walking through a beautiful stand of trees


mist in the trees

A very wet trail

a rooted section of the trail

The ERD eating his lunch at the Zealand Hut

Zealand Falls



Zealand Pond









No comments:

Post a Comment