Monday, September 8, 2014

Sibling adventure: South and North Doublehead and Black Mountain Middle Peak

I asked my brother to join me on this overnight trip.  We have only seen each other twice in 10 years and I knew it would be a good way to reconnect.    

I pulled my pack together taking everything I would need for an overnight hike.  My pack, on average, weighs between 15 - 20 lbs, today it weighed 30 lbs including 86 ounces of water for myself and the ERD (my Chihuahua). 
My brother ready to go

My brother looks very fit, however he has never hiked a mountain, ever…not even once.  He arrived at my house in jeans, work boots, a ‘school-like’ backpack and 3 cans of seltzer water.

Uh oh.. 

I couldn’t convince him to borrow my husband’s hiking pants or a hiking backpack but I did switch out his water.  He was now carrying 64 ounces of noncarbonated water. 

I decided to take him up the New Path trail.  I knew it was steep but didn’t realize the trail climbs 1500 feet in one mile.  There is also a long section of loose shale adding to the challenge.  This was not a good choice for someone who has never hiked!  When we reached the steep section of the trail my brother told me he didn’t think he could do it.  He was very shaky.  I encouraged him to drink water, eat dried cranberries and pecans.  He felt better and we continued slowly up the trail.  The heat and humidity started to take its toll on him.  His pack weighed 25 pounds.  I took his pack, sliding my arms through and comfortably balanced it on my pack.  My intent was to take it for 5 or 10 minutes but it was surprisingly doable so I kept it.  Taking the pack was a big help to him and with frequent stops, lots of water and trail food, I knew he would make it.

When we reached the summit of South Doublehead the look of relief, joy and sense of accomplishment on my brother’s face was incredible!  We took some celebratory photos and set off to the North Doublehead cabin.  Staying in a log cabin on a mountain summit overnight, enjoying a sunset and sunrise, was a great way to get to know my brother again.  It was even more special knowing how much it meant to him.   We spent some time reading the log books and he was happy to point out that he wasn’t the only one who thought it was a ‘crazy difficult’ hike.  He also pointed out that it would have been nice if I had chosen an easier ‘1st mountain’ hike.  Point well taken.

My brother on South Doublehead
After drinking coffee, watching the sunrise, and photographing orb spiders the size of small dogs, we descended the Doublehead Ski Trail. On the way down my brother became dehydrated. He had finished the last of his water at breakfast and needed more.  I had some extra water but I always carry a Sawyer Mini Water Filter in my pack.  I never needed it until now. After two bottles of nice, cold, filtered water from the brook, he was a new person!  

I often think about the things I carry in my pack and say to myself, “I’ll probably never need this but I’ll carry it anyway”.   Today I realized it’s better than ever having to say, “I wish I brought it”.

We got back to the car and swung over to the East Pasture XC Trail for a quick peak bag of Black Mountain-Middle Peak.  On the drive over we saw a mother bear and two cubs cross the road ahead of us.  My first cub sighting!

The East Pasture XC trailhead is located on an unpaved section of Black Mountain Road.  At the start of the dirt road there is a sign that says, ‘Unmaintained road. Travel at your own risk”.   If you don’t have a 4-wheel drive vehicle, I don’t recommend driving up this road.  Just park at the beginning of the dirt road and hike in. We drove down the dirt road and parked at a small pull-off area large enough for 2 cars - directly across from the XC trails sign.  Do not block the gates.

My brother stayed back in the car to get some much needed sleep while the ERD and I set off.  East Pasture trail is a very easy, seldom used trail.  Although it is overgrown in some sections, it is a nice beginner trail.  I told my brother this when I got back to the car but quickly added the views were much better on South Doublehead ! ;).  


35 down 17- 52WAVs to go.

Will need a redo on South Doublehead  - apparently the official summit has 2 cairns, not one.  
Me and the ERD on South Doublehead

The cast iron stove in need of a flue cleaning!
                                                               

Sunlight reflecting off the ERD's fur
 Yoga practice on North Doublehead before sunset.  Eka Hasta Urdhva dhanurasana
 Viparita dandasana with bent legs
 Eka Pada Urdhva dhanurasana 
Sunset on North Doublehead
Moonrise on North Doublehead
Amazing Sunrise on North Doublehead
North Doublehead Cabin 
Sunset reflecting off the window of North Doublehead cabin
Inside of North Doublehead Cabin
giant orb spider living on the outside walls of the cabin!
Doll's Eyes, White Baneberry (poisonous)
North and South Doublehead seen from the East Pasture XC Trail
 

ERD on East Pasture XC Trail
Black Mountain Middle Peak Views  "The recognized highpoint is atop a large rock in a fairly open area.
Logs indicate 360 views but this time of year, that's definitely not the case.  
Vertical profile for Black Mountain Middle Peak  

Yoga practice on North Doublehead summit

No comments:

Post a Comment