Saturday, August 30, 2014

Photo Blog - Precipice Trail, Bar Harbor, ME

I had heard a lot about this trail and knew I had to hike it when I got to Bar Harbor. Although I didn't find this trail physically challenging, I do have a healthy fear of heights and it did mess with my head in certain sections.  I felt myself gripping onto the metal bars much harder than necessary.

The trail starts with a meander through the woods and, about 20 minutes in, you come to the first set of bars where you have to pull yourself up and over. At this point, there are two sections where you have to climb or hop across large, rather sharp, boulders.  You also have to climb under and through two small 'caves' that are ten feet or so in length. They are an easy crawl through and one of them you can actually stand up in.

It doesn't really test your fear of heights until you get out of the trees and onto the bare ledges. This is when you get some beautiful views of the Porcupine Islands.  There are some damaged (and a few missing) bars along the way, but the rocks have some great areas to place your feet and pull up with your hands.  I don't think it will cause the average hiker too much trouble.   At the top I was surprised to find a shallow pool of water teaming with frogs!

It was a great trail to help prepare me for more challenging vertical climbs and I will probably visit it again then next time I visit Bar Harbor.

Caves - crawl throughs

Bridge near the beginning of the trail



 

Bars to small ladder
There is a narrow ledge and you hold onto the horizontal bars to help keep you from slipping.
This bar helps you pull yourself up from the ladder seen on the bottom right of the photo.

Beautiful views of the Porcupine Islands
 
View looking down 

You hold onto the horizontal bars on the left to keep you from slipping off the narrow ledge.


You can see some bent bars here, some are a little shaky.  There are a couple of broken ones here as well. A little caution will keep you safe.
The bars here are to keep your feet from slipping off.  You can see the hand bar on the top left.

Near the top of the trail.
A view from the top.  Just beautiful

Virabhadrasana III (Warrior III pose) because I felt like one :).
A seemingly permanent body of water at the top! 

Teaming with frogs!

A fat frog hiding in the grass.





No comments:

Post a Comment