Sunday, September 28, 2014

Mount Hayes

I hate hiking in the dark.  I don’t mind hiking at night through woods I know and enjoy spending time seeking out owls and documenting vernal pool species.  However, the thought of hiking a mountain trail at night, in unfamiliar woods alone, gives me nightmares.

After class I drove the three hours toward Hayes.  I decided on the longer, but easier to find, Centennial Trail.  Too worried about the time to get a decent lunch, I opted for McDonalds.  They did away with the grilled chicken salads long ago, so I ordered a quarter-pounder meal.  A mistake. Twenty minutes later I had stomach pains that would kill a mule.  Ugh.  They will subside before I get to the trailhead…NOT.

I get to the trail, I’m in pain, my face is sweating and I’m sure it’s the color of moss.  Hiking will make my stomach feel better…NOT.  I take two hiking sticks instead of my usual one-stick somehow thinking it would be better to hike with two sticks with a stomachache.  The extra stick just annoys me so I hide it behind a fallen birch tree and continue up slowly.  I make my way up the steep trail, in the heat, with a stomachache and a green face.  The three mile ascent felt like the longest hike in history.  As I neared the first set of ledges I met an older couple on their way down.  They looked at my green face queerly.  I had to explain my green face to them.  They said I shouldn’t eat McDonalds ever again. 

I know the summit is not well marked so I continued on and on past a few more less attractive ledges, through mossy paths (matching my face) until the trail markers changed colors and continued until I dropped 300 hundred feet in elevation making sure I hit the summit. 

When I hiked back to the first set of ledges there was a couple of hikers there sitting where I wanted to have a snack, smoking cigarettes.  My first thought in my grumpy, green-faced state was, “They’re sitting in my spot and they are smoking cigarettes! How can hikers smoke cigarettes?!”  Then I realized after a strong wave of nausea hit me; “Who am I to judge? I ate McDonalds for lunch!”  So I started up a conversation.  These very nice guys were thru-hikers who only had 300 hundred miles left of the Appalachian trail to hike.  We talked a little about their adventure and their final destination, Katahdin. 

After they headed on, I started my descent back down the trail.  Surprisingly it was still light and I was excited I was going to be back at the car before dark. Then I realized I had to find my husband’s hiking stick I left behind a random fallen birch log.  What I realized on the descent is every fallen birch log looks the same as the next one.  After looking behind what felt like a 100 logs I realized I wasn’t going to be back before dark.  In fact, night had fallen so quickly I found myself standing in the dark.  But before the fear could creep in, something wonderful happened. Gray treefrogs started calling from the treetops.  As I listened to the treefrogs, I noticed the walking stick under a dead oak…not a birch.  Haaa :). 

Back at the car, I found myself looking forward to the next day’s hike - Mt. Success.


view from the beginning of the trail


first ledges
Views from the false summit

ERD leading the way

small cairn
mossy trails 
mossy trails

rock stairs
more rock stairs
no summit markers
trail sign at the top
actual summit

No comments:

Post a Comment