Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Mount Tremont

Finally a beautiful day for a hike, no rain today!   Phew!  

The trailhead was a little tricky to find.  There is a small sign that's difficult to see from the road and of course I missed it: twice.

I stopped to ask for directions and drove into a large lot that looked like a small logging operation.  The first thing I see is a car on top of a tower of logs. I knocked on all of the doors of the building.  I was no longer interested in directions, now I wanted to know why there was a car on top of a log tower J.  Unfortunately, I didn’t get to meet the interesting characters that own this place. 

The trailhead is located in Harts Location on the south side of Rt 302 a ½ mile west of Sawyer Rock Picnic area.  If you see the sign the “Entering Bartlett” you’ve gone too far!  

The Tremont trail is beautiful.  It follows along Stony Brook for a while;  the water is crystal clear with an emerald green hue and many minor cascades.   Around the 1.5 mile point the switchbacks start.  I enjoy scrambles and bouldering.  Switchbacks are an endless, monotonous, butt-kicking, trail to a lobotomy.   Give me loose shale and scrambles any day, at least they keep my mind alive ;).
American Bald Eagle

I was so happy when I finally reached the summit.  The summit was definitely worth the mind-numbing switchbacks.  I invited a yogini friend and of course we had to have some yoga play on the summit.  We basked in the warm sun, watched a bald eagle soar above us, and we were very reluctant to head back down.

I’m going to miss summer.  
37 down 15  52-WAVs to go.

       Angel wings - oyster mushroom look-a-like.  Edibility uncertain.  Many eat it, however there has been 2 deaths associated with them.  Best not to eat them.

Stony Brook

Natures slinky :)  - Antheraea polyphemus (giant silk moth caterpillar ♥)



The distinguished, sphinx-like ERD 

Hanumanasana (monkey pose) 


the ERD

Uttanasana (standing forward bend)
Stunning views

Views and more views :)


No comments:

Post a Comment