Sunday, June 21, 2015

North Moat, Red Ridge loop and a sick ERD

I left Friday afternoon and headed to NH ready for another car camp.  After fitting in a short hike to Table Mountain, I set off to check out the parking area for North Moat.  There were “No Overnight Parking” signs posted.   I don’t mind breaking the rules, but I do mind being woken up in the middle of the night by a ranger.

It was Motorcycle weekend (it seems it’s always motorcycle weekend in NH) and I knew I wouldn’t find a reasonably priced place to stay that accepted ERDs.  I set Plan B into action.  I drove around looking for Inns with lots of unmarked parking spaces.  I found the perfect place very close to the North Moat trailhead.  After dinner I came back to the lot just before dark, read a book, charged my phone, and was asleep on the mattress in my Sequoia by 9:00PM.

I woke at 5:00AM to sun, no clouds!  Got my stuff together and was on the trail by 6:00AM.  The trail is very easy going until you reach the Attitash junction, from there it’s a continuous, steady climb with good footing.  The last 700 feet of elevation is a nice quad blaster – nature’s stair master.  I got to the summit in 3 hours – for me that’s lightning speed.  I enjoyed the trail.  It is a relatively easy, quick route for anyone who just wants to summit North Moat.

The summit was just beautiful; I couldn’t have chosen a better day.  The wind was mild, the air was cool, and the early morning sun was warm.  The ERD was enjoying the hike and took off to check out something I couldn’t see.  Apparently he found something gross and dead to eat, because he didn’t smell good when I called him back.

I had a little trouble finding where the Moat Mountain trail continued but finally spotted the blaze and proceeded down toward the narrow path.  This section of the trail is rather grown in and poorly marked. Although it’s just over a mile, this dark, viewless section seemed to drag on forever until you get closer to the Red Ridge trail. Then it opens up to rust colored rock slabs with great views.   When you emerge onto the open ledges of the  Red Ridge trail – wow!

Unfortunately I wasn't able to enjoy it; this is when the ERD got sick.  Vomiting grass bits and unidentifiable sludge, he was shaking and unable to jump down ledges.  Apparently his dead-animal treat didn’t agree with him.  I tried to get him to drink some water, eat a healthy dog snack, nothing.  This dog never says no to a dog treat and he never stops moving.  I was worried.  I knew I was going to have to carry him down.  I was going to have to carry him on my pack, down a very steep trail back to the car.  At this point I was wishing I had done the loop in reverse.  Red Ridge is a much easier trail to ascend than descend. 
Sick on Red Ridge
The ERD was groaning and cried out when I touched his belly.  He smelled gross like the dead animal he ate and apparently rolled in.  This was going to a fun hike down.

Sick ERD
With the ERD on my pack I had to slide down some of the trail on my backside unable to maneuver steep sections with a dog on my pack. This is not an easy trail to descend period, nevermind with a dog on your pack! In addition, there are sections of this trail where the blazes are faded and hard to follow. Not a problem normally but when you have a sick pooch on your pack it can be a little frustrating.

I kept pouring water on his head thinking this would help (it just made him smell worse). I ran out of water about a ½ mile before Moat Brook (86 ounces of water used between us).  When I reached the brook, I filtered some water for a much needed drink, used some trail soap to get the dead animal smell off of us, and took a lunch break.  The ERD looked better, ate some food, and started to act like his old self again.

He ran down the trail ahead of me, all the way to Diana’s baths where he greeted lots of children, on the way back to the car.  46 down 6 to go...

Trail conditions:www.newenglandtrailconditions.com
Mt. Washington
All of these Mountains!

Chocorua view

The ERD
ERD scurrying along North Moat






Feeling better he was back in front leading the way.

happy always to carry a filter.

At Moat brook the ERD looks and feels better
Ganoderma Tsugae (Reishi mushroom)
Lots of little American toads on the trail - watch your feet :)
No trouble crossing Lucy Brook today - and easy dry walk across


Red Ridge trail




Another little guy jumped across the trail.

Amazing views!
Not my usual happy self, knowing I have to carry my poor sick dog down.

A nice bright blaze 
Virabhadrasana III (Warrior 3 pose)


2 comments: