Monday, June 15, 2015

Mount Mansfield, VT

Loop Hike:  Route 108, Long Trail South, Summit Ridge Trail, Toll Road, Haselton Trail   

My husband and I planned a weekend in Burlington,VT and of course I wanted to climb the highest peak while we were there.  So Saturday morning we packed our gear and headed for the mountain. My husband brought his CamelBak pack, a couple of snack bars, and not much else. I had enough in my pack to cover almost any emergency, everything from bivy sacks to firestarters. My husband shook his head.

We parked at the Smuggler's Notch Parking area and walked the half mile to the Long Trail South trailhead.  It's a beautiful trail.  The heavy rains, from the night before, left behind streams of running water on the trail. The water brought out a shimmer in the rocks. The deeply striated rock shone with gold and silver flecks with each step. I saw similar rocks on Mount Meader and I decided to find out more about them.  I found an old PDF file about the "The Geology of Mount Mansfield State Forest."  Just in case anyone else out there (besides me) is interested these rocks; they are are called, "mica-albite-quartz schitz".    http://www.anr.state.vt.us/dec/geo/pdfdocs/Parks/Christman_1956_MansfieldPark.pdf.


Left: Mica-Albite-Quartz schitz, Right: Mica
As my husband hiked ahead, I meandered up the trail enjoying the flowers, cool air and the deep green of the woods. Vermont is truly the Green Mountain state.  When my husband stopped ahead to wait for me, he noticed I was eating something.

  What are you eating?
  Trillium.  
  What?   
  Trillium, it tastes like arugula and spinach.  You want some? 
  Uhm, no.
  Well you should look at the plant so you can identify it without the flower.  
  Why? I only hike with you.  If I'm starving in the woods you can show it to me then.
  Haa :).

The Taft lodge was very cool.  It is such a great place for a hiker to spend the night.  I wish I had thought about staying there.

eka pada urdhva dhanurasana on the Taft Lodge bench.
The trail is steep gaining 2,793 feet of elevation in 2.3 miles, but I really enjoyed it. No annoying switchbacks, just straight up fun.  The last 2/10 of a mile involves a considerable open rock and ledge scramble.  I love scrambles and was happy to see my husband enjoyed discovering his own inner billy goat.   I don't recommend hiking down this trail when it's wet.  If you're wary of open rock scrambles, take an alternate trail up.

 The summit is absolutely beautiful with 360 degree views that reminded me of Katahdin.



360 views on the Chin.
We hiked across the ridge as the clouds swirled in around us.  My husband mentioned he didn't have a raincoat if it started to rain.  I smiled knowing that I had an emergency poncho in my pack for him if the weather turned  (1 point for me).  But the weather held out and cleared as we hiked toward the Nose.

The trail to the Nose is closed right now so we started toward the Haselton trail. When we reached the ski slope, the black flies and mosquitoes attacked ruthlessly.  I pulled out my bug net and put it on my head. My husband was swatting black flies furiously, looked over at me with my head net and frowned.  I pulled out an extra one for him (2 points for me).  I grabbed a bag of dried cranberries and walnuts. Again my husband looked at me and frowned.  I gave him 1/2.  (3 points for me).  I pulled out a granola bar, gagged, looked at the expiration date, June 2012 (1 point for my husband).  Note to self:  check expiration dates of food in pack :D.
Haselton trail is much less steep and an easier way down so I planned the perfect loop.  Since my husband only hikes with me 2 or 3 times per year, it's nice to have it go relatively smoothly :).  In the end he admitted that I packed a good backpack. (score: me 2, husband 1).

For a detailed log of trail conditions: http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/vt/viewreport.php?entryid=21558
Ski slope to Haselton Trail



Most likely green frog eggs. Notice tadpole larvae clustered at the top of the egg mass.

The Nose - trail to the summit of the Nose currently closed.
Vernal pool on Toll Road on the way to Haselton Trail

Where's the hubby? 

Where the trail becomes fun :)

Summit area of 'The Chin"















No comments:

Post a Comment