Sunday, June 21, 2015

A tale of two Tables. Table Mountain, Bartlett NH



I was planning my North Moat loop hike and saw Table Mountain on the map near the North Moat trail.  Great, I will knock one mountain off my Terrifying 25 list. I got to the top and realized it was the wrong mountain.  Nothing terrifying here J . I spent so much time planning my North Moat hike that I didn’t bother looking to see if I had the right Table. Note to self: Table Mountain is not Table Rock. They are hours away from each other.

Although it wasn’t the right Table, it was a lovely mountain with expansive ledge views. Previous logs list this as a difficult hike; overgrown, numerous blowdowns, etc. Apparently someone has done a lot of work on this trail since then. The Attitash Trail to the ledges is well marked, easy to follow with no blowdowns. This is a short hike, only 3.8 miles, moderately steep. I rate this hike as Easy/Moderate. 

There is a bushwhack trail to the true summit that I chose not to climb.  As you continue along the Attitash trail past the ledges there are some interesting rock wall formations.

From this point the trail narrows and darkens under deep tree cover.  It was a little too Stephen King-like for me, so I turned back to go down.



Trailhead information:  The Trailhead is located on Bear Notch Road in Bartlett, NH.  The GPS coordinates are  N 44 02.669  W 71 16.569.  It is a small raised parking lot (about 10 feet up from the road). If you are coming from 112 the parking area will be on your right.  If you come from 302, the parking area will be on the left.










4 comments:

  1. You should have kept going. The Attitash Trail gets real interesting in the middle section.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Table Mountain what a wonderful place in heaven , Have enjoyed lot last time. Im hoping to visit it again in this December. Do you think its a good time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rashod. I think it would be a nice beginner winter mountain. So yes, if there is snow the views would be magical. :)

      Delete