Friday, August 15, 2014

Woman makes plans God laughs... North Percy Peak

If you go into a hike with a ‘fixed set of plans’ you’re apt to be disappointed.  I always make a fixed set of plans but with an expectation of change.  When people ask me what my hiking plans are I tell them but add, “That’s my plan and I’m sticking to it, unless I don’t.” There are so many elements that can’t be controlled.  When the universe is on your side, things go as planned.  When it isn’t, you change them and add an adventure to your day.

I left at 8:00pm after my class to drive to Stratford, NH with the intention of hiking North Percy Peak, the South Peak and Sugarloaf the following morning.  I reserved a small cabin for the night.  It was pouring rain and I had a 3 hour drive. I’m not the best driver in good conditions and a tentative driver at best in the rain.  In a 65 mph zone, I drove only 45 mph annoying everyone behind me.  I am especially nervous at the 34A, B, and C (Cannon and Lafayette) exits; the narrow winding lanes in heavy rain, at night, are enough to send me over the edge literally.

I arrived 30 minutes late but the owner Judy waited up for me.  She ran out of her cabin in the rain, holding a flashlight, to tell me the power was out because of the storm. Ugh.  I had expected a warm cabin and a light to read by before I went to sleep.  Instead I had a cold, dark cabin with lightweight summer blankets.   


I used my headlamp and flashlight to illuminate the cabin. It was a neat, clean, minimally furnished cabin. The ERD was not happy, he is used to better, warmer, accommodations.  It was so cold in the cabin that I had to put on every item of clothing I had in my backpack including my raincoat, gloves and extra pair of socks. I was still cold. The ERD’s ears were ice cold.   

I woke up at 5 and checked to see that the power had been restored.  When I turned on the light I realized one of the windows was wide open!  No wonder it was so cold!  It was still raining.  It was dark and gloomy with no hint of sunshine. There was no service on my phone so I couldn’t check the weather.  Well, I didn’t drive 3 hours to go home without a mountain under my belt. 
Driving to the Trailhead


I fed the ERD, ate a banana and waited…nope, no change in the weather. I packed the car and headed off to the trailhead, maybe the weather will improve…nope.  I get to the trailhead, it’s raining. I start up the trail, maybe the weather will improve…nope. 

I hike up to the sheer, slanted, rock face.  I have read a number of trail logs saying you shouldn’t do this section of the trail in the rain.  I look up…yep, I can see why.  Water was running down the rock face, the fog obscured the way up to the summit.  Damn.  I sit.  I eat. The dog eats.  I made a decision, I’m going up.  I take off my backpack and put it on the ground.  I look at the surroundings to take note of where I am and where I am leaving my pack.  I take just my camera and the ERD and we scurry up to the summit. It was completely silent except for the rain.  I took a few photos and sat looking at the fog that surrounded me wondering if I would ever find my backpack.

Slippery slanted rock face to the summit
I took good mental notes, even with the fog, I was able to find my pack and headed back down the mountain.  I took my time, collecting edible hedgehog mushrooms, taking photos and drawing faces on quick-staining boletes.  I thought if I took my time on the descent, the weather would improve and I would head off to summit Sugarloaf….nope.  The clouds were still looming.

In spite of the weather it was a peaceful, silent (except for me occasionally talking to myself and the dog), and meditative hike.  It was just what I needed.  

drawing faces on quick staining bolete mushrooms
My pack was left right behind the 'side-facing person tree'


Eerie views 
Me and the ERD at the summit sign on North Percy Peak
Cort sp?
Coral fungus
Dryad's Saddle
The prized edible Hedgehog mushroom
Gills of unknown mushroom


Percy loop parking

Percy Loop trailhead sign

The fog enveloped summit of North Percy Peak 
climbing over roots to get to the summit
Hedgehog mushrooms with my breakfast


2 comments:

  1. Your title is like a quote one of my aunts uses, and one I used in my trail report (on Hike NH) of our 48 finish. We planned to watch the sunset on West Bond. We were there in time for it, but so was the fog! Oh well, no big deal, we live in Lawrence. It's not like we drove up from Washington DC or something! And you got yourself some nice mushrooms! Nice cabin. Can you rent these places at a spur of the moment like that? We bring our backpacking tent if we don't get a space at a campground. Or occasionally stay at "Hotel Signal Ridge Corolla (sh!!!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beckie, You live in the next town over! Yes, you can rent them spur of the moment here is the website. http://www.connollycampground.com/. I also like http://www.trailsidelodgenh.com/ :)

      Delete