Monday, October 20, 2014

South Moat

I hiked today with my daughter’s best friend and her mom.  My daughter abandoned us claiming too much homework to join us.  I knew nothing was going to beat the brilliant blaze of colors on Iron Mountain last week, but the 360 views on the rocky summit of South Moat came close.

There is some active timber harvesting at the start of the trail.  Look for a small arrow pointing to the left of the clearing and follow the bright trail-marker ribbons leading you around the harvesting back to the trail.

The recent rains left running water, wet leaves and slippery rocks on the trail making it a little tricky in places.  We all did a butt-thump at least once during the hike.  

The people I hiked with today are good casual hikers.  My daughter’s friend scurried up the trail with ease.  Her mom, who is not used to the craggy New Hampshire trails, was cautious and a little hesitant but hiked at a steady clip.

Being a mostly solo hiker, I learned a couple of things on today’s hike.  A trail that is easy for me to follow is not necessarily clear to other hikers.  For example, if I see random branches laid down across the trail, I know it’s a ‘heads up’ not to go that way.  Hikers new to NH trails will walk over them and keep going.   I also learned I need to look behind me more often to make sure fellow hikers are not far behind.  Although I stop and wait every 5 minutes or so, I should never let hikers get out of sight at any time (duh...Hiking 101).  After stopping on the trail and waiting a few minutes, I did not see or hear my friend and started to hike back up.  She was fine but there was a fork in the trail (I hadn’t noticed) and she didn’t know which way to turn.  I could tell she was a little shaken thinking she was going to get lost.  It was a very good lesson for me.

All and all, it was a great hike with great company, stunning blue skies and a beautiful summit.  

42 down 10 to go!

360 views on the South Moat Summit

The ERD and Copper at the bridge watercrossing

Pleurotus ostreatus - The Oyster Mushroom! Yum! I left some for the next hikers.
 They are on the left side of the temporary trail (left of the clearing) at  eye level. 
Views of Chocorua and the Sisters from the trail
Views from the trail

Hanumanasana on summit rocks
My daughter's friend, her dog Copper and my chihuahua the ERD

the ERD at the summit
Summit views! It was beautiful, but WINDY and cold :).  Not a day to bask on the rocks. 
EPUD (eka pada urdhva dhanurasana) on the summit rocks

grilled oyster mushrooms!
added to clam chowder 


No comments:

Post a Comment