Thursday, October 16, 2014

Iron Mountain and South Cliffs - a short hike with banging views

Utthita Padangusthasana on South Cliffs
I thought about driving up the night before and car-camping at the trailhead, but after reading numerous posts about the ‘very narrow’ and ‘steep’ condition of Iron Mountain Road, I was really worried about travelling on it at night.  I decided to get up early and drive to the trailhead. I woke up to my alarm, grabbed my gear (and the trusty ERD) and was out of the house and ready for my 3 hour drive by 4:15AM.   

Iron Mountain Road was much better than expected.  It was a very well maintained, flat, smooth-graveled road.  Yes, the road is narrow but unless you are driving a Mack truck, it’s not going to be a problem.  I can see where it would be a little hairy if you need to pass someone; however, there are two pullout areas along the road and there are only a few occupied houses, so I don’t think passing cars is a frequent occurrence.   

If you are a fellow car-camper, the parking area is a nice (large enough for 4-5 cars), seemingly safe place to spend the night. You also have the bonus of waking up to an incredible view.  As I walked through the field to the trail I was surrounded by fall’s brilliant color palette, stunning mountain views and the earthy sweet smell of fading ferns.  It felt like I was walking through a Van Gogh painting. 
View in the field near the trailhead... a landscape waiting to be painted.
Many hiking logs indicate that the Iron Mountain Trail is a very eroded, steep trail.  One log said some hikers turned back because it was too difficult.  Yes the trail is eroded, but it isn’t a difficult trail.  Adding the South Cliffs without heading to the iron mines, the trail is only 3.2 miles round trip and 3.6 miles if you add the iron mines.  I didn’t feel it was too steep; any steep areas were offset by level ones.  I do recommend watching your step because of the numerous loose rocks now hidden under fallen leaves.  I would imagine in the spring with thawing snow and running water it would be quite an adventure to hike this trail.  I took photos of the trail, so you can judge for yourself.    
I-would rate this hike on the easy side of moderate.  I am not a trailblazing, red-lining, long distance hiker.  I am an intermediate, slow-paced, photo-taking, meandering-What’s book time?, kind of hiker.  So I was surprised at the ‘difficulty’ level most online logs rated this one.  White Mountain Guide 28th Edition, Suggested hikes section (pg 72),  contradicts this and gives it an Easy rating.

There are no blazes on the trail but the trail is easy to follow.  The fallen leaves bring peekaboo trail views along the way to the summit.  There are no views at the summit, just the remains of the old fire tower and piles of iron ore rocks (pretty cool).  There is a small handwritten sign pointing you in the direction of the south cliffs. 
Continue past the summit for .6 miles.  When you see a large boulder on the left of the trail you are about 5 minutes away.

Take a left where a small cairn marks the way.  This will lead you to the south cliffs rewarding you with sweeping, unobstructed mountain views.  Amazing views for such a short hike.  A highly recommended hike.


41 down, 11 to go.

The ERD scurrying around the ledges
Sweeping views and the ERD blending in with his surroundings

Foliage is not done yet!  Best colors I've seen in years!

Oh human...why must you take so many photos...
Sleepy Hanumanasana 

 
Bowing Hanumanasana

Remains of the old firetower at the summit of Iron mountain...no views but very interesting.

Piles of iron ore rocks all around

Lovely but inedible

Parking area for the trailhead.  Room for 4 or 5 cars.  My car (a Sequoia) on the left

Morning light on the South Cliffs




View coming down the trail back to the field to the car.

Striped maple (Acer pensylvanicum) also called moosewood.  (thanks Keith & Jon for the ID)
Trailhead sign at the parking area


View from the field walking back to the parking area
Along Iron Mountain Road near the trailhead.  I looked inside.  Strangely enough it looks like an old post office!
208 Iron Mountain Road - FOR SALE.  Interested?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this report! We went there today and your info. helped!

    ReplyDelete