Monday, December 15, 2014

Mount Pierce 12-14-14

I'm starting to understand the allure of winter hiking.  I stepped onto the trail and the trees were heavy with snow, the sky was a luminous white, heavy with winter fog.


The temperature was a comfortable 27 degrees, no wind to speak of, quiet with a few hikers moving past after some pleasant conversation.  It was a nice mix of hiking solo and feeling safe knowing others were on the trail.   This was only my second solo 'winter' hike and it would test my ego.

The forecast indicated bright, sunny skies.  When I asked a woman at the front desk of the Highland Center, she said, "...you want views? Come back in spring. You're not going to get them today."

Knowing I wouldn't find views on the summit, I took my time enjoying the mild temps, appreciating the beauty, making friends with gray jays, and revelling in the antics of chickadees and red squirrels.


I was wearing my Katoola microspikes thinking they wouldn't  'ball' as much as the Hillsound crampons. There was no difference. Both make snowballs under the feet.  I felt like I was wearing Earth Shoes from the 70's.

At 3000 feet I decided to try out my new Tubbs Flex Alp snowshoes.  They took a little getting used to but once I got them fitted correctly they were effortless to hike in!

As I approached the 4000 foot mark, I talked to a number of hikers coming down from the summit.
    "No views"
    "Blistering cold"
    "White out conditions"
    "I lost the trail a few times"
    "Are you going to be okay? Do you have warmer clothes? It's cold up there."

As I emerged onto the treeless section of the trail, I was blinded by the white fog, white snow.  It was a new, incredibly beautiful world.  I stood there just staring, eyes watering, not from the cold but from awe.


I see a group of 6 hikers emerge from the white wall of fog... I talk to them about the remaining distance to the summit.  They continue on and I watch them disappear.

I start to walk on knowing I am the last one on the mountain.  Alone.  Inexperienced in an alien world.  I look at my GPS. I look behind me. I can no longer see the snowshoe trail of the hikers. I can't see their tracks ahead.  The choice was easy; it wasn't worth the risk.  I surrendered to the mountain.   It was time to go down.

Om shanti mountain; I will be back another day.



































No comments:

Post a Comment