Monday, June 16, 2014

Middle and North Sugarloaf

I had initially planned on hiking First and Middle Sister with Chocorua today. However, when I woke up at 4:15am anticipating the 5 hour + roundtrip drive and a potential 8 hour hike, I decided my mind and body was not in the right frame of mind to hike it.  I went back to bed until 7 and decided I needed a good view and an easy, breezy hike.   I decided on Middle and North Sugarloaf.

It was a beautiful hike.  The pollen this time of year wreaks havoc with my asthma but I kept a steady pace and the ERD ran ahead most of the time.  When I got to the fork, I decided to summit Middle Sugarloaf first.  The summit was crowded but with the 360 views of this beautiful mountain, you can find a spot to be alone.  The ERD went over to everyone on the summit in hopes of being given delicious treats from a random stranger.  My dog sat in front of a very nice hiker who was trying to eat his sandwich in peace.  My dog doesn’t move, doesn’t make a sound, he just stares at you with deep longing, hoping to hypnotize you into giving him a morsel.  A dog with big eyes, big ears and a little 10 lb. body can rake in a lot of treats if I don’t keep an eye on him.

I took a couple of selfies, socialized a bit, and relaxed enjoying the warm weather and clear blue skies.  After exploring the summit I headed off to the lower summit of North Sugarloaf.  It was a beautiful trail with interesting rock formations and an easy hike to a nice, but subpar summit compared to Middle Sugarloaf.  It was a short hike, I started at 11:30 and was back to the car by 2:05.  One of my shortest hikes in quite a while.  Even my husband was surprised when I told him I was on my way home.

Not sure what hike will be next, maybe Chocorua, possibly North and South Baldface.  I’ll have to wait and see.  

Bunchberry also known as the Dwarf Dogwood. The berries are tasteless but are filled with vitamin C making it a good trail nibble. I have read it makes a tasty jam :).

Clintonia borealis (blue bead berry).  Interesting plant pollinated by flies.

                                                                                                      The ERD (Evil Rat Dog) had no problem darting up these steps.
White Slant-line Moth (Tetracis cachexiata)

Selfie on the Summit of Middle Sugarloaf

Selfie - the ERD and I
Middle Sugarloaf Summit

Selfie on the way to North Sugarloaf

the ERD on the edge at North Sugarloaf


Goofing around on some cool rock formations


No comments:

Post a Comment